Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Random Thoughts on Random Topics

Thoughts on kale:

From my husband:
"Kale is not even food.  It's what you eat when you are stranded on a desert island right before you resort to cannibalism"
and
"Kale is the equivalent to eating fish butthole."

I was rerunning these thoughts through my head while at the gym and nearly fell off the treadmill trying to stifle my laughter.  Kale is the new SUPER FOOD and everybody talks it up--put it in your kid's smoothies, they say.  They'll never notice the difference!  I never did this because, despite the fact that they couldn't taste it, they could SEE it.  (This all changed during a recent detox/cleanse that I did.)

Thoughts on Dr. Oz's 3 day Detox/Cleanse:

I did this after the new year because I had been doing some serious gorging on junk food for about 2 weeks.  I thought that it would jump start better eating habits and maybe lose a few of those holiday pounds.  Overall, it actually was pretty good though I did find my limit to be 2 days.  After two days of smoothies, I found it hard to pull the blender out the third day.  I also learned that my kids will drink ANY smoothie so long as it is mine.  They got enough fruit and vegetables during that three day period to last a good week--green smoothies and all.  I can't give a total weight loss because I refused to step on the scale before I started it.  So there.

Thoughts on buying Barbie:

For all the bad rap that Barbie gets, I found the holidays to be the true gauge on interest in the brand.  There was not a DreamHouse to be found ANY. WHERE.  Seriously--I searched every store in the lower Michigan, northern Ohio, and the Cincinnati area.  Nothing.  (I was not actually going to drive to get one if I DID find one, but I was curious.)
My girls ended up with a Barbie vacation home and vending machine and they LOVE it.  Honestly, it is like any other toy for them--a way to use their imagination.  I played with Barbies a lot growing up and I still somehow ended up being female engineer.  I believe it's more about empowering your kids every day and less about they toys that they play with.  My girls play with Barbies and they play with cars and trains.  They gravitate to what they want that day/hour/minute and I'm ok with that.  What I don't like, is EVERY time I see a Barbie randomly lying around, it looks like this:

At least they mold flesh colored underwear on her now...

Thoughts on winter:

It sucks.  My countdown to spring started before the first snowflake hit the ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment